Sound Destruction: GOOGLE = PROTECTOR OF CIVIL LIBERTIES (and some chit-chat about movies)

Friday, January 20, 2006

GOOGLE = PROTECTOR OF CIVIL LIBERTIES (and some chit-chat about movies)

SAN FRANCISCO - Google Inc. is rebuffing the Bush administration's demand for a peek at what millions of people have been looking up on the Internet's leading search engine - a request that underscores the potential for online databases to become tools for government surveillance.

next thing you know they are going to want to listen to all our phone calls too.

also...

in movie news tim robbins is looking to remake 1984. (que an araider tirade about hollyweird and how liberal actors are assholes) but I think in the political climate we are in now we could use some more warnings about becoming a bunch of mindless sheep.

to tell you the truth some of the best films this past year have been politically based.

syriana, lord of war, good night and good luck, the constant gardner, jarhead, paradise now munich.

not to mention some of my other favorites...the manchurian candidate, fog of war, dr. strangelove (or how I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb), jfk, nixon, wag the dog, fahrenheit 9/11, a clockwork orange, the contender, citizen kane, bulworth, the insider, hotel rwanda, mr. smith goes to washington, traffic, the candidate, the war room, fail safe, all the kings men, bob roberts, primary colors, election and all the presidents men.

oh yeah...and team america: world police.

any I missed?

7 Comments:

Blogger tlm said...

Thanks, but I don't need Hollywood's help with anything.

11:04 AM  
Blogger Omnipotent Poobah said...

I dunno. I got to the movies for escape and I think a 1984 remake would be way to depressing.

11:29 AM  
Blogger admin said...

I hit the communion bottle when I want to escape.

7:41 PM  
Blogger Sar said...

Strider, do you remember when we watched the original 1984 as a (youth group?) church activity? It'd be interesting to see how mainstream christianity today would react to a new 1984, given hindsight should be 20/20.

7:53 PM  
Blogger Tom Harper said...

I sure hope Google stands their ground. Bush just wants to see how far he can push the envelope. I think he's pushed it too far already.

And yeah, I could go for a 1984 remake. It's more relevant now than ever.

10:37 PM  
Blogger Cooper said...

They have pushed it too far, not that google isn't put all out information to good use for themselves though.
I am all for a remake even knowing that Hollywood needs a wake-up call does not mean they can't give a wake-up call.

5:27 PM  
Blogger Doug The Una said...

TEAM AMERICA!!! There are three kinds of people...

6:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter