Sound Destruction: 25 MINUTES TO GO

Monday, December 12, 2005

25 MINUTES TO GO

They're buildin' the gallows outside my cell.
I got 25 minutes to go.
And in 25 minutes I'll be in Hell.
I got 24 minutes to go.
Well, they give me some beans for my last meal.
23 minutes to go.
And you know... nobody asked me how I feel.
I got 22 minutes to go.
So, I wrote to the Gov'nor... the whole damned bunch.
Ahhh... 21 minutes to go.
And I call up the Mayor, and he's out to lunch.
I got 20 more minutes to go.
Well, the Sheriff says, "Boy, I wanna watch you die".
19 minutes to go.
I laugh in his face... and I spit in his eye.
I got 18 minutes to go.
Well...I call out to the Warden to hear my plea.
17 minute to go.
He says, "Call me back in a week or three.
You've got 16 minutes to go."
Well, my lawyer says he's sorry he missed my case.
Mmmm....15 minutes to go.
Yeah, well if you're so sorry, come up and take my place.
I got 14 minutes to go.
Well, now here comes the padre to save my soul
With 13 minutes to go.
And he's talkin' about burnin', but I'm so damned cold.
I got 12 more minutes to go.
Now they're testin' the trap. It chills my spine.
I got 11 minutes to go.
'Cuz the goddamned thing it works just fine.
I got 10 more minutes to go.
I'm waitin' for the pardon... gonna set me free
With 9 more minutes to go.
But this ain't the movies, so to hell with me.
I got 8 more minutes to go.
And now I'm climbin up the ladder with a scaffold peg
With 7 more minutes to go.
I've betta' watch my step or else I'll break my leg.
I got 6 more minutes to go.
Yeah... with my feet on the trap and my head in the noose...
5 more minutes to go.
Well, c'mon somethin' and cut me loose.
I got 4 more minutes to go.
I can see the mountains. I see the sky.
3 more minutes to go.
And it's too damned pretty for a man to die.
i got 2 more minutes to go
I can hear the buzzards... hear the crows.
1 more minute to go.
And now I'm swingin' and here I gooooooooo....

-Shel Silverstein

11 Comments:

Blogger TLP said...

Leavin' us hangin' on what the post below means to our lives?

6:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have never believed in capital punishment. And now Arnold is willing to end a life. Oh, for more girly men in charge of government.

7:04 AM  
Blogger M. Martin said...

tlp - you would get along well with my pop. he never can refuse a good pun.

m'bear - it would have taken guts to do what arnold couldnt do.

from dead man walking:
Prison guard: Tell me something sister, what is nun doing in a place like this. Shouldn't you be teaching children? Didn't you know what this man has done? How he killed them kids?

Sister Helen Prejean: What he was involved with was evil. I don't condone it. I just don't see the sense of killing people to say that killing people's wrong.

Prison guard: You know what the Bible say, 'An eye for an eye'.

Sister Helen Prejean: You know what else the Bible ask for death as a punishment? For adultery, prostitution, trespass upon sacred grounds, profane in a sabbath and contempt to parents.

7:54 AM  
Blogger Sar said...

Excellent choice in literature to make your point, Strider. Even though it wasn't news to me, I felt physically ill when I read this morning they had put Tookie Williams to death.

10:58 AM  
Blogger Doug The Una said...

Yeah, and Johnny Cash sang it, too. Let's not forget the man with the middle finger.

11:50 AM  
Blogger tlm said...

I'm no fan of capital punishment (a life is a life, no matter how old, evil, sickly, fetusly, etc.), but I didn't lose any sleep over Tookie's premature demise.

So, see ya, Took!!
Perhaps Uday and Qusay will share some of their 72 Virgins with you so you can get some tail while you're down there in Hell.

5:23 PM  
Blogger Cooper said...

I felt ill as well.

7:30 PM  
Blogger Lila said...

Wow, I never knew Shel Silverstein wrote anything like that! Thanks for sharing it.

It's incredible to me that my country puts people to death. Bizarre and sick.

8:03 PM  
Blogger Mike V. said...

ap3, he also wrote "Boy Named Sue" (sung by Cash).

As for the death penalty, I think most people feel that those who did the crime and get the chair (or whatever means) are the scum of the earth.
However, I am not willing to agree to that kind of power at the hands of the state, and I do not want them acting out "revenge" in my name.
That's to say nothing of the mistakes that have been made.
Lock em up, keep them away from us, but I don't want to be brought down to their level.
And that's just what happened today when my state collectively killed someone.
BTW, in case anyone forgets, the statistics are more than conclusive that states with the death penalty have a higher murder rate per capita.

8:17 PM  
Blogger TLP said...

*Tap* *tap* *tap*

That ain't the sound of the chain gain. What happened to the post that was going to make me goof off all day? You wrote about it the other day, remember?

6:22 AM  
Blogger M. Martin said...

tlp...mondays i was planing on only doing a weekly post for goofing off but i will try to get more up this week though just for you.

7:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter