Sound Destruction: WHAT TO DO?

Monday, September 05, 2005

WHAT TO DO?


Remember after 9/11 how somber our country was in the aftermath? Remember how no one quite felt comfortable being light hearted for a good long while? Remember we weren't sure if it was appropriate or disrespectful to go on with our lives, being silly and happy?

I feel that way now. Again. I just don't know what to post. When I read that police officers are taking their lives and many, especially elderly, are subject to prolonged suffering and inevitable death, I catch myself wondering if it's all appropriate to do a stupid, silly, Sound Destruction-esq post. But my heart is so very heavy.

I appreciate and admire the blogs who've dedicated their posts to the coverage and inquiries surrounding the tragedies of Katrina, and, in my opinion, no one blogger has provided more in-depth blogging than our pal Moxie. But what about us here at Sound Destruction? We've been know to put up some pretty stupid but apparently entertaining shit around here, while interjecting real grown up topics like politics and religion.

I just don't know.

7 Comments:

Blogger Doug The Una said...

I don't know if this helps but I heard Peter Sagal on NPR on Saturday "We who stand around making jokes also serve."

12:19 PM  
Blogger GABRIEL C. ZOLMAN said...

The best way to honor someone who dies is to remember them how they lived, not how they died.

Do what I did. Make New Orleans-themes posts that remember happier times, unitl you're comfortable veering off-topic.

I spent a long time in and near the Big Easy; I miss it more than you know. My posts this week are as much therapy as they are tribute.

)+(

12:31 PM  
Blogger Sar said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:51 PM  
Blogger Sar said...

To those of you who noticed, I just revised my original post because I wanted to emphasize the point about the nation-wide somberness and eventual return to daily life.

Doug - humor is as effective an annecdote to depression as animals. Especially dogs. Thank you.

Gabriel - your posts on New Orleans and your adventures that led you there have become an addictive read for me, and I look forward to your (now daily!) posts with great anticipation. So you must be on to something there.

12:52 PM  
Blogger Mike V. said...

I think you should keep on keeping on.
And if that means you are more somber, then that's fine, too.
This is no way to end the summer, but it's the reality of it, I guess.
Give to the Red Cross, the Salvation Army and to Noah's Wish (they help animals during disasters) and say a prayer if that's your proclivity.
And be thankful for what you've got.

2:52 PM  
Blogger Agent 31 said...

*slap!*

Get some humor going! People have got to have some joy in their lives! I'm all cried out!

3:13 PM  
Blogger Sar said...

Mike - I like that advice.

Maine - ouch and thanks. For you, anything.

So without further ado, see Strider's new post, and I'll join you there.

4:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter