Sound Destruction: WHAT IS IT WITH PEOPLE?

Friday, August 19, 2005

WHAT IS IT WITH PEOPLE?

Yesterday I was up in Henrico County (same county where a riot nearly broke out over $50 laptops earlier in the week). While I was filling the mommy mobile (read minivan), I noticed a cop had pulled 2 women over near the next pump. One was a plump middle-aged black woman and the other was a punkish probably twenty something white chick. By my best estimation, the cop was a late 20's white dude. So I deftly flexed my people watching skills and observed the black lady maintain complete composure and respect (though she didn't appear too happy) while the punk chick (who I'm guessing by her flailing arms was none too happy as well) smoked and blew her smoke out in the officer's face, then threw the butt to the ground and stomped it - at the officer's feet. Now, as a gal from NJ, my first thought was "Oh no she did not just do that! Shit, may I introduce you to the fan!"

But no, he didn't even flinch! I think they eventually both got tickets or warnings or something, though I can't be sure because I was too busy running a little scenario in my head, where I ripped the cigarette from the punk chick's grubby claw, directed her attention to the sign on the pump that says "No Smoking", then after a big ole drag, blew the smoke back in her face to see how she liked it. Then I'd moved on to smack the officer upside the head and ask what the hell was wrong with him. And finally I'd shake the black lady's hand and commend her.

But I snapped out of my dreamstate and back to reality when the pump clicked, and I realized I had to fork over $46 damn bucks for filling my mommy mobile.

7 Comments:

Blogger tlm said...

Two words: Bad Parenting. There are too many of those rude 20-somethings (and younger) running around these days.

1:32 PM  
Blogger Doug The Una said...

What's the cop do again? I agree with TLM. Feels funny, but I do. If the mommy mobile was occupied, I hope you explained to the contents about what you saw. Composure good- Attitude bad.

I'm pretty comfortable that'll never be a child of Sar's blowing smoke. Strider?

3:30 PM  
Blogger GABRIEL C. ZOLMAN said...

I can't comment on this scenario; I've seen the Bad Lieutenant too many times.

)+(

3:37 PM  
Blogger Sar said...

You got it, TLM. Let me put it this way, my parents raised me to think as freely as the punk chick, but behave in public like the plump back woman.

Doug - I was most perturbed with the cop. I mean, there's a reason why you don't smoke, let alone drop your butt, near a gasoline pump! How come I put 2n2 together, but he couldn't? And isn't leaving the butt on the ground littering? And why did he let that woman get away with blowing smoke in his face? I have the utmost respect for law enforcement, but this particular cop must have gone into male mode and tuned out the women and their actions at that moment. Oh, and the girls were in the car but thankfully too preoccupied to notice.

3:44 PM  
Blogger Sar said...

Gabriel - Speaking of cop movies, this one could have been scripted for Police Academy. I loved that soft spoken, turned screaming black lady officer - she rocked!

3:46 PM  
Blogger M. Martin said...

sars kids are great...they will turn out fine...

but i must say i went through a few years of looking like a punked out long haired metal skater kid so i do know that you can be discriminated against for having a 'look'. when i had my long hair out of 4 times getting pulled over i got my car searched 3 times.

all i know is you dont know anything till you have all the sides...maybe the cop was the punk girls boyfriend and he likes to be abused so he pulls her over every now and then and she throws cig butts at him and is rude to him...

who knows...

7:31 PM  
Blogger Sar said...

I totally agree, don't judge a book by it's cover or a person by their appearance. I was judging their actions (another combined lesson from our parents). And I'm sure you weren't a prick acting out of line when you got pulled over like this punk chick. But you may be on to something with your dating & oddities scenario which, btw, was very funny!

8:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter