Sound Destruction: CLASSIC

Sunday, July 31, 2005

CLASSIC



We rented E.T. and the girls saw it for their first time yesterday. Even though I clearly remember it from when I originally saw it along with Strider & family in the theater back in the day, I teared up right along with my 7 yr old. Needless to say, they loved it too. What a classic.

Plus, I'd forgotten C. Thomas Howell was in it (he's the "badass" bicycling, pizza-eating friend). He was my adolescent celebrity crush. Much of my babysitting money & allowance funded my collection of teen magazines that featured him, and I sent off more than my share of fan letters. I remember the day I got a postcard back in return. I was on cloud nine until mom subtly pointed out it was from a mass-processed lot with a stamped autograph. I went from crushing to crushed in that moment. But mom really did me a favor saving me from the truly crushing blow that would be Soul Man.

Update: Click this link to see the original preview for Soul Man. There's an annoying Walgreen's add first, so feel free to yell ripoff at your screen. But it's worth it because it's so hilariously '80s and its funny to see who else was in the cast!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh I'm so glad that your girls loved it. It tends to get overlooked because of the later incredible special affects in Star Wars etc.

Can never forget the ending; it ranks with the best sci fi films that were (gasp) even before my time: The Day the Earth Stood Still, and The Boy with the Green Hair.

And Soul Man must deliver truly crushing blows. Was denied access to his site!

12:55 PM  
Blogger Doug The Una said...

Somehow your mother knew.

Funny post.

1:03 PM  
Blogger Chris Woods said...

ET is indeed a good movie.

1:19 PM  
Blogger Sar said...

Thanks to Pia's mentioning the dead link I originally had for Soul Man, I found the original preview for Soul Man & added it as an update in the post.

To channel Strider:

Watch it!
Go now!


* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Pia - it was pretty surreal watching it with the girls, seeing them absorb it all while enjoying it myself -- especially the ending. :)

Doug - Ironically, I intended a sentimental & nostalgic post, but then it did take a humerous turn.

Araider - How could you not like ET?! I liked C. Thomas Howell Best as Ponyboy in The Outsiders (I must have read that book hundreds of times growing up).

CW - We continue to see eye-to-eye. :)

Actonbell - On the DVD we rented, they had a bonus feature interview with Speilberg in which he likened ET to a vintage wine that's appreciated more over time.

3:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter