Sound Destruction: SAR'S CHILDHOOD MEME

Monday, June 20, 2005

SAR'S CHILDHOOD MEME

My blogger buddy Doug, tagged me for a meme about 5 things I miss from my childhood. I'm very sentimental, and what I miss most aren't things I had so much as things I did.

1. THE BEACH. Dad used to walk me and my brothers to the beach in CA on the weekends when we were younger. We played in the ocean, made sand creations, and visited with the lifeguards. Most times dad would take us for ice cream along the way. It was near a coffee shop that had the most incredible wafting scents of fresh ground coffee (probably explains my love for coffee to this day).

2. SNOW DAYS. We moved to NJ when I was almost 11. I'm not a big fan of snow now, but as a kid snow days ruled. Me and my brothers would have snowball fights with the neighbor kids (I was pretty girly and used the garbage can lid as a shield while my brothers launched the assault), then we'd sled down the hill & wind up back home where mom made us hot chocolate with marshmallows.

3. MUSIC WITH STRIDER. We used to hang out in my room or the basement and listen to music and hang out for hours. Strider always was on the cutting edge of music, even though he's a tad younger than me. Pink Floyd, Guns N Roses, U2, Motley Crue, Ozzy Osborne come to mind (though I was always into '80s pop too - Scritti Politti & Flock of Seagulls!). Ironically, out of all that we only got yelled at for listening to "Helter Skelter".

4. CHRISTMAS. You can never get that natural excitement back. Our family is big on tradition and we'd go to the pageant service on Christmas Eve. We'd get up Christmas morning and be allowed to open our stockings while mom & dad caught a few extra zzz's. Finally we'd drag them out of bed and we'd start opening gifts - one at a time, starting with our younger brother who'd then pick for someone else and so on. Then we'd have the "holiday bread" mom made from a long-standing family babka recipe. We'd eat together, then spend the day with our new loot.

5. PROMS. My mom would take me shopping for gowns, then she'd create a pattern & gown based on what I liked (BTW, she made my wedding gown too). My current love for all things pampered probably originated from my love of going to the beauty parlor to get my hair done up. And I loved all the cliché elements too: the corsage, limo, pictures, and of course the dancing and socialization too.

I think I'm supposed to tag and move names up or something, but I'm switchting up the rules (so shoot me!). Rather than try to choose who to tag, I'll extend this meme invitation to anyone who'd like to revisit their childhood. Let me know if you choose to participate, and I'll stop by to read your post.

8 Comments:

Blogger Doug The Una said...

Nicely done. You seem so wholesome, suddenly.

5:49 PM  
Blogger Sar said...

Why thank you, Doug. Though I have to wonder at your comment "wholesome...suddenly". Just what are you implying there? ;)

8:45 PM  
Blogger Doug The Una said...

Why, nothing of course ;-) Did I mention I like your shoe?

9:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the way you did this. Now I can! (most people have let me know that they will be quite angry if I memed them)

10:04 PM  
Blogger Sar said...

Why Doug, you dog you! ;)

11:05 PM  
Blogger Sar said...

Thanks Pia - go for it!

And Doug - if the shoe fits...

10:35 AM  
Blogger Doug The Una said...

I think I'd look funny in it.

4:11 PM  
Blogger Sar said...

Doug - ya think?

5:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter