Sound Destruction: RED STATE, TRUE COLORS?

Friday, June 17, 2005

RED STATE, TRUE COLORS?

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

this week the united states Senate condemned the lynching of black Americans.

the vote was not unanimous.

a majority of the members of the Senate sponsored the bill but there were some notable holdouts. who would oppose such a bill--ceremonial or not?
It turns out that the answer is painfully obvious: Red State Republican Senators.
here are the senators who have refused to take part in this historic apology:


Lamar Alexander (R-TN) Write
Thad Cochran (R-MS) Write
John Cornyn (R-TX) Write
Michael Enzi (R-WY)
Write
Chuck Grassley (R-IA) Write
Judd Gregg (R-NH) Write
Orrin Hatch (R-UT)
Write
Trent Lott (R-MS)
Write
John Sununu (R-NH)
Write
Craig Thomas (R-WY) Write
Gordon Smith (R-OR) Write

WHAT YOU CAN DO:
write these senators and remind them what century it is.

originally there were twenty GOP holdouts. many have already repented.
now we are just down to the above hardcore believers whose true colors are shining through.
I am not naive enough to believe that an apology would make one bit of difference but I am pissed that as far as we seemingly have come ignorance still runs rampant.

8 Comments:

Blogger Sar said...

Even if it is just a courtesy recognition (albeit long overdue), it is a recognition nonetheless. Do you think their black constituents feel snubbed?

1:35 PM  
Blogger Doug The Una said...

How far do we seem to have come?

By the way, Chuck Grassley used to be my Senator and I still like him. I wonder what his rational was. Iowa's a purple state, by the way.

2:15 PM  
Blogger tlm said...

Actually, strider, it did pass unanimously. There just wasn't a recorded vote. Your version does spin much better, however! :)

By the way, I haven't been able to find too many "Thank God they finally apologized" comments from victims' families. Could it be that a Senate resolution can't undo previous American atrocities? Say it ain't so!

Mary Landrieu's speech from the other day almost moved me... until I remembered she's an insincere and self-serving media-whore (just like her 99 other constituents.)

7:19 PM  
Blogger tlm said...

(But the Trent Lott picture is freaking hilarious!) :)

7:21 PM  
Blogger Jet said...

That whole unrecorded vote thing smells. What, they need to play it both ways? Spineless groveling sneebs. I need a bath.

9:34 PM  
Blogger M. Martin said...

tlm - am I mistaken or did it only pass unanimously because it wasn't put up for a vote? (therefore no one could vote against it)

maybe I am missing something in the articles I read.

10:43 PM  
Blogger Chris Woods said...

From what I understand, the anti-lynching resolution (S. Res 39) was not a recorded vote. It went something like this.

Senator: Move to approve by uanimous consent.

President Pro Temp of the Senate: Without objection?

Pause (at this point I think there were maybe 6 senators in the chamber)

President: So ordered.

END

That is all it took. The rest of the names on the list are co-sponsors of the resolution. And, since it is a resolution approved by a voice vote, you can add your name as a co-sponsor whenever you want. Even AFTER it has been passed.

Oh, and Grassley has signed on now. I'll get you the link to see to the list of co-sponsors soon, or you can just search on Senate.gov for S. Res. 39.

5:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello all,
I have never blogged before and still don't know if I'm doing it right or where to put my comments.
But I'm really pissed off and have to say something.

Dick Durbin is a total piece of crap, dumb mother f@#!. I hope somebody wakes up and pops a cap in his stupid ass. It's stupid morons like him that keep this country divided. Dick Durbin is a traitor to America and it's people.
especially me. If I had any power I would tie his nuts to a prickly bush and and take him to the gas chambers so he would know what it was like to be in the camps of the Nazis.
I have been to GITMO twice and I talked to many people and the prison guards, and by making then roll around on the floor and barking does not signify torture in any way, especially not by Nazi and Russian gulag standards.
Dick Durbin, please eat shit and die.

4:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter