Sound Destruction: PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT

Thursday, June 23, 2005

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Today hubby, the girls and I spent some time at one of the outdoor malls near us. We had a nice dinner (yes, we eat out a lot as I'm a very challenged cook), and we chose to sit outside. Perfect opportunity to people watch. Don't judge me, we all do it. I noticed and will never understand is why men still seem to think it's okay to wear black socks with shorts in the summer. Or why their wife, girlfriend, or partner (okay if they have a partner, chances are they have fabulous fashion sense and this post doesn't apply to them) allows them leave the house like that.

Gentlemen, it is NEVER okay to wear black socks with shorts. The only appropriate socks to wear in the summer are white athletic style socks and they should come no higher than your ankle. And no, you may not take knee high socks and scrunch them down - that trend died somewhere in the late '80s.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn... I'd better go shopping this weekend.

10:25 PM  
Blogger tlm said...

Absolutely. You'd think common sense would dictate that black socks have limited use in the summertime.

10:36 PM  
Blogger M. Martin said...

are argyles ok?

who cares what socks you wear. to you it may look foolish but to others it may be cool. i think you must be a very confident person to try it.

fashion is in the eyes of the beholder.

there was a day when someone I know wore leg warmers, jelly shoes, stirrup pants and big pink belts tied around their button up pastel splattered untucked shirts. ;-)

...now where are my black socks.

12:36 AM  
Blogger tlm said...

Hey, strider.. You must have pictures of that particular 80's fashion victim stashed away somewhere. Care to share them with the rest of the class? :)

12:40 AM  
Blogger Doug The Una said...

Oh, great, now I'll be really late for work!

8:37 AM  
Blogger Jack Burden said...

I think there might be a consipiracy here... I've never seen a single guy wearing black socks with shorts. It's only the married guys.

So maybe what's happening here is that the wives, as a basic precautionary measure to make sure that other women don't get ideas about their husbands, encourage their guys (or don't discourage them) to wear black socks, making them invisible to the interested female eye.

Either that or the guys are just f'n clueless. I could buy either theory.

11:13 AM  
Blogger SheaNC said...

I've seen a lot of old guys in the shorts (pulled up to the sternum), the black socks, and brown dress shoes, with a polyester shirt, a bola tie and trucker cap. I'm really looking forward to old age.

12:22 AM  
Blogger Sar said...

It Don't Matter To Lex - at least you have my back here. Apparently we're surrounded by men who are fashion challenged!

But Shea, you still stand a chance, because you'd be sporting the look while tooling around in your little vw bug. That would be cool.

TLM - '80s fashion is completely subjective. I followed the trends (though I never did the whole Debbie Gibson hat thing - I was more into Madonna style with the lace, pearls, and rubber bracelets, peddle pushers with bobby socks and heels - ugh, make me stop already!), I shudder at the thought of pictures resurfacing.

8:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter