Sound Destruction

Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

The One Campaign and the upcoming Live8 shows are both global efforts to end extreme poverty. That's why this article struck me & Strider as absurd at best.

A campaign group has called the Live 8 London concert "hideously white" for not having enough black performers. London-based group Black Information Link said organisers had "handpicked a virtually all-white line-up". But a Live 8 spokesman said: "Bob Geldof approached a number of urban and black artists to participate." He added a number were busy with other projects and commitments. Artists including 50 Cent, Stevie Wonder and are Jay-Z are among those taking part in the Philadelphia concert.

Someone needs to explain to us exactly why it is that this group believes black people should hold the monopoly on fighting against the extreme poverty in Africa and the world abroad. As a gal of German and Irish decent, I am right glad to see my Irish heritage being represented by Bob Geldof and U2, but I ask you where the hell is Nena and her 99 Luft Balloons to represent my German decent?

Why is it that people continue to trip over their feet trying to be politically correct instead of just taking the time to think. Do people really believe that Bob Geldof and the organizers of Live8 are specifically excluding black artists? Seriously, why would they do that? What purpose would that serve?

When did being "PC" preempt the simplicity of being tolerant and understanding?

10 Comments:

Blogger Doug The Una said...

Now you'll see my degree in economics at work: One the one hand, I think its fair to expect some diversity in a big event and to ask for it. On the other hand, for Pete's sake.

By the way, I dearly miss Nena. Maybe they'll bring her back for Live-Aid neun und neunzig

11:08 AM  
Blogger Sar said...

Diversity shouldn't have to stem from demanding the token black person. Or Asian person. Or Fat person.

Do you miss the German version (99 Luft Balloons) or the psudo-English version (99 Red Balloons) that Nena stumbled her way through?

3:08 PM  
Blogger Jason said...

Have you seen Salon's article on the Live 8 Lineups? They got a bunch of music critis to discuss who they should add and who they should get rid of. Radiohead are such a glaring omission. The article is here but you might have to sit through an ad to read it.

3:10 PM  
Blogger Doug The Una said...

Oooh, touchy subject. Do they have any fat popstars? Burl Ives is dead. I demand a role model! I agree by the way.

You've actually struck the only thing I'm a snob about. I was living in Germany when 99 Luftballons came out and back in the states when her other hit, 99 Red Balloons came out. To this day I feel superior to my compatriots regarding Nena.

3:28 PM  
Blogger Doug The Una said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3:28 PM  
Blogger Jason said...

Fat pop stars? Tenacious D, perhaps? That would rule!

4:39 PM  
Blogger M. Martin said...

BOW DOWN TO TD!
JB AND KG RULE!

so do radiohead...I would assume they were asked and either haven't confirmed or are busy.

5:28 PM  
Blogger Sar said...

doug - I guess it is pretty impressive, if not ironic that you were in both originating countries at the time of respective releases. What were you doing in Germany at the time?

Jason - I don't know what this says about me, but when I tried to think of fat black musicians, I came up with Heavy D, Sir Mix A Lot, & Rueben Studdard. Then my brain went blank.

8:09 PM  
Blogger Doug The Una said...

Sar, it's very impressive. Not much, really the Goethe estate sponsors an exchange program and I went as part of that. Yes, every time the song would come on, I'd raise one eyebrow in a pathetic attempt to look cool and say "I prefer the version auf Deutsch which I used to hear in the clubs of Marburg," You know, I still would if the topic would only come up. I've been waiting 20+ years for your post.

9:35 PM  
Blogger Sar said...

doug - at last confirmation that there's greater force drawing me into blogsphere!

1:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter