Sound Destruction: Our Poll: Have The Simpsons Jumped The Shark?

Monday, May 02, 2005

Our Poll: Have The Simpsons Jumped The Shark?

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

It's been reported that The Simpsons May Have Jumped The Shark.

TV's longest-running sitcom celebrates its 350th episode...(May 1). Judging by too many shows this season, it is time to reach for the fork and cue the fat lady.

More troubling for Fox than any perceived decline in quality is the very real decline in ratings. A decade ago, The Simpsons drew 20 million viewers a week. A few years ago, 16 million. Last year's average was about 12 million.


The April 18 episode drew 8.3 million viewers.

Fox points out that the show is still TV's No. 1 comedy among adults 18-34 and tops among teens. Still, this season in total households, The Simpsons will fall out of the U.S. top 50 shows for the first time ever.


Do you Agree?

Our Poll: Have The Simpsons Jumped The Shark?

a. "D'OH!" - Say it isn't so.

b. "Don't Have A Cow Man" - Nah.

c. (insert your own response)

10 Comments:

Blogger MG said...

C. I'll watch next week and see if it gets any better. Last night's ep was kind of lame.

11:42 AM  
Blogger SheaNC said...

I gotta say, they're classic. I wish they would release a box set of the halloween episodes. Besides, I've grown old with them... 8^.

3:38 PM  
Blogger Sar said...

Wow...judging by the underwhelming response, I'd say either:

a. The Simpsons jumped the shark
b. No one cares
c. It's too much effort to comment

C'mon, people, your comments are what makes this blog so much more fun!

Shea & Moxie - you get bonus points for being cool cats on this one. What those bonus point will amount to is still undetermined though. Any suggestions?

11:35 AM  
Blogger One of the many said...

I would have to say that I have never been on the Simpsons band wagon and I doubt if I ever will.

3:29 PM  
Blogger Sar said...

Thanks for the comment Laura, and bonus points to you for answering my desperate plea for a comment!

I used to watch the show and enjoyed it - especially Bart's bar crank calls). But I guess you could say I did fall of that wagon quite a long time ago.

Strider's a big fan though. I got him Homer Simpson beer bottle opener for Christmas one year (Homer says
"Mmmmm...Beer...WooHoo!!!"
when you press the button).

5:27 PM  
Blogger SheaNC said...

I work with a guy, an attorney from England, who is a fan - has Simpson's stuff on his desk, etc.!

And, I should add, that I have been a diehard "Family Guy" fan all along, too, and let's not forget "The Critic"!

9:31 AM  
Blogger Sar said...

Shea - you're such a nerd! I say that in the kindest regard, because the balance of us here are nerds too. :)

Long live the nerds!

3:20 PM  
Blogger SheaNC said...

Wow, that's cool. I thought I was just an aspiring nerd, because I have net set up a network (yet)...

3:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the simpsons is my favorite tv show, and i would still have to say they jumped the shark. it was either the episode where they killed off ned flander's wife, maude, or somewhere in that same season, 1999 i believe it was.

11:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Contrary to popular opinion, the show jumped the shark ages ago -- circa 1998 or so (I think the episode where Homer becomes a Krusty-lookalike was the last one that was truly any good).

It's actually painful for me to watch the current incarnation of the show, it's so damned unfunny; I can't bear more than 10 minutes before I have to turn it off and shake my head.

11:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter