Sound Destruction: OBSERVATIONS AT A MIDNIGHT SHOWING

Thursday, May 19, 2005

OBSERVATIONS AT A MIDNIGHT SHOWING

so I went to see star wars: revenge of the sith at midnight last night. I wont bore you with a review of the film but only say it is the best of all 6 movies.

I do however have some observations I made last night about both the movie and the fans that were there. hope you enjoy them.

-about the fans-
1.everyone that shows up for a midnight showing of star wars is a nerd...without a doubt.(yes I am a nerd)
2.the "super nerds" dress for the show.
3.the only reason any women were at this midnight showing was either, (A)their boyfriend/husband made them go (B)they are a super nerd.
4.dorks arguing about who is stronger obi-wan or darth vader is funny.(wow...they were really going at it)
5.even at a midnight showing of star wars it is still not "cool" to drive around in your Volkswagen golf blasting the imperial march.

-about the movie-
1.obi-wan is a bad ass.
2.R2D2 is also.
3.the romantic dialogue george lucas wrote is downright horrible. (not that I expected much from it in the first place....but it is REALLY bad)
4.no matter where you are in the galaxy...you do not need a key to start any sort of space ship, cruiser or land speeder.
5.severed limbs are a norm. Anakin alone loses 3 in this movie. 5 if you include episodes 2 and 6. (I guess technically in episode 6 he loses one of his fake arms but who cares)

feel free to add any other thoughts you may have about us nerds or about the movie after you see it.

or just make fun of it without seeing it....I don't care.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree that the movie was great. I still think A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back were better (probably for sentimental value). I watched all the previously released Star Wars movies in preparation for this one and I have to say - the love story in the first trilogy (IV through VI) was very good and this one sucked. Was it the actors or did Lucas know how to write about love in the 70s?

I didn't really expect to laugh during the movie but there were actually funny parts (not just stupid dialogue).

2:08 PM  
Blogger SheaNC said...

You know, nerd spelled sideways is still rdne. No one can ever take that away. 8^)

12:36 AM  
Blogger Sar said...

In 3 words: I loved it. They did a great job summing up the more boring I and II installments, while paying homage to and paving the way for the original Star Wars (IV). A few additional observations if I may...

I will never again view Darth Vadar as wholy evil and intimidating. Instead, I'll now view him as the imposing force that merely houses the sad and tortured soul of Anakin.

Wish they hadn't signed big name hollywood celebrities to roam the fantasy world of Star Wars -- too distracting. Am I the only one who was reminded of Sam Jackson's Pulp Fiction utterance: "And I will strike down on thee with furious anger..." during his duel with Anakin?

If Yoda can kick ass while simulataneously flying through the air and bouncing off walls, why then does he rely on a cane?

(thanks again for taking me to see it, Strider!)

12:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The end of the movie tarnished my image of Darth Vader. The 2nd sentence out of his mouth is "Where's Padme?" That was the only let down in the movie for me.

Sam Jackson as Mace Windu was awesome. It was sad to see him die. :-(


Chris

8:23 PM  
Blogger Sar said...

Whoo wee, Chris, that was some statement to make minus a spoiler alert!

10:12 PM  
Blogger M. Martin said...

we all knew mace had to kick it....he isn't in 'a new hope.'

as for darth and his first few lines after being risen again...it does change your perception of him. I don't think for the worse...but it does change it. I think that was inevitable though.

as for yoda...I assume he can do all the flips and stuff because he is using the force to do it rather than when he walks when he is not using the force to walk. as explained to luke in 'empire strikes back' yoda says:

"size matters not. look at me. judge me by my size, do you? hmm? hmm. and well you should not. for my ally is the force, and a powerful ally it is. life creates it, makes it grow. its energy surrounds us and binds us. luminous beings are we, not this crude matter. you must feel the force around you; here, between you, me, the tree, the rock, everywhere, yes."

so in other words when yoda used the force...arthritis matters not.

8:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter